A collection of hypertext references I've amassed over the years, including many documents residing on this site.
Art & Architecture
- The Timeless Way
- An essay about how Tolkien's Elves viewed creativity, and what that means for us.
- An unfinished essay on liminality and contrast at the root of all things.
- An essay on the necessity of caring for space.
- An essay on the origins of obnoxious architecture.
- Videos on Art and Architecture
- Introductions to Christopher Alexander, for the YouTube-prone.
- My attempt at an authentic recreation of the fabled Elven waybread.
- Soy Sauce Lentil Soup
- One of my go-to recipes for a hearty dinner.
- The Quest for the Imperial Treasures
- My re-translation of the rules for the classic cut-out-and-play board game “Search for the Emperor's Treasure” by Tom Wham
- Lalaith (Mirth)
- The stuff that cracked me up circa 2004.
Languages and Linguistics
- The Conlang List
- A giant list of constructed languages from around the web. Not even close to complete!
- Richard Kennaway's Conlang List
- The inspiration for my own conlang list. Not maintained; many of the links are dead.
- Cuio Edhellen!
- A textbook I'm writing to teach J.R.R. Tolkien's Elvish language Sindarin. A work in progress, but there are several completed chapters covering pronunciation, tengwar writing, and basic phrases.
- What's a Conlang?
- An introduction to the hobby.
- Zompist's Language Construction Kit
- A guide to making your own language, for the perilously interested.
- A conlang I made in college. It tries to be a somewhat-artistic logical language.
- A complex cipher of English that yielded a language with its own quirky grammar.
- The Viking Society of Nordic Research
- A website with many resources for learning Old Norse. Recommended: A New Introduction to Old Norse, which has separate Grammar, Reader, and Glossary PDFs.
- An Old English / Modern English Bilingual Dictionary, including inflected forms of nouns and verbs.
- A site about J.R.R. Tolkien’s languages, including audio recordings of Tolkien himself speaking Elvish.
- Fiona Jallings’ site on Tolkien’s elvish languages, providing English-to-Elvish translations.
- A Fan's Guide to Neo-Sindarin
- Fiona Jallings’ Sindarin textbook.
- Paul Strack’s ELvish DAta MOdel, aiming to catalog all the Elvish words gleaned from Tolkien's works and created by fans in an annotated cross-referenced database. An awe-inspiring work of scholarship, not aimed at beginners.
- Parma Tyelpelassiva
The Book of Silver Leaves. Thorsten Renk’s site with excellent Quenya and Sindarin courses available for download.
The Fellowship of the Word-Smiths, with information about the Elvish dialogue, inscriptions, and lyrics in the Lord of the Rings movies.
- A site with many articles about Elvish languages and poems in several rare Elvish dialects.
- Amanye Tenceli
The Writing Systems of Aman, Måns Björkman’s site covering the Elvish tengwar script, plus a few others less well-known—like Rumil’s sarati.
- Creole Typology I: Comparative Overview of Creole Languages
- A paper describing how creoles differ morphologically and syntactically from other types of languages.
- Scots Online
- Pittin the Mither Tongue on the Wab! Includes audio recordings and a Scots translation of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Elvish Songs and Poems
- Music of an Elvish bent, from many climes, decades, and centuries.
- A chronological list of songs that have made me cry.
- The Din of a Feast
- PARTY AT THRANDUIL'S HOUSE
- Are mix CDs still a thing? A list of songs I've given to or received from crushes.
- The brutal heart of the woods.
- Old Tales
- A few readings/chantings of the ancient classics.
- My attempt at translating an abridged reading of the Old English epic poem.
- Synesthesia Symbiosis
- Rialian’s site on otherkin and the elven experience in particular.
- LotR Videos
- The mythos and magic of The Lord of the Rings—both the books and the movies.
- Reasserting Innocence
- A series of essays by valleanenowe
- The esoteric wisdom of Polynesia.
- So How Do I Look Inside, Anyway?
- An essay by Syleniel on introspective meditation.
- The Vast Dark of My Dreaming
- An essay by mystic and multi-instrumentalist B'eirth, on the many forms of consciousness.
Programming and Software Engineering
- The website of Richard Gabriel, containing poetry and essays on software.
- The Jargon File
- A compendium of hacker culture
- The C2 Wiki
- The original wiki, by Ward Cunningham
- A peer-to-peer protocol, with NodeJS and browser interfaces
- Wayback Machine Downloader
- A must-have for the amateur archivist.
- A Progression of Languages: Alternative Quantifications of Computation Expressed Using the
- Calmtech.com collects ideas about how technology can better support humanity without being intrusive or distracting.
- Tom MacWright's Blog
- The Garden Path
- A “random” button for my ever-growing collection of links.