Quinoa & Black Bean Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 3-4 zucchini, diced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb dry black beans (or two 28-ounce cans)
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- veggie sausages or ground veggie meat
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Sour cream
- Pickled jalapeños (escabeche)
- Diced green onions / scallions
- Tortilla chips
- Grated Jack cheese
- If you're using dry beans, cook them according to the package instructions.
- In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, jalapeño, spices, and fresh veggies.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Add the beans, let them get warm. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 15 minutes before serving, add the raw quinoa. Keep adding water to cover.
- Cut up the sausages and sauté in a pan with a bit of oil.
- Add the cooked sausage bits to the chili and turn off the heat. Don't let them boil, or they'll get tough.
- Add the frozen corn, and wait a few minutes for it to warm up.